Blog Description

A gallery of sketches & artwork by Greg Chapman. All images are copyrighted to Greg Chapman or their respective copyright owners. It is illegal to copy, download, or reproduce any of the images without the written permission of the artist or copyright owner. Thank you for respecting these rights.

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Character sketch

This little guy is the result of a character doodling demo I did yesterday for a group of students at South Seas Film School. I used this doodle to explain my general approach to sketching creatively with no fixed outcomes in mind. I also briefly explained (although not in much detail) how that is something quite different from character design. Although I use creative sketches during character design, it is only a small part of the greater process. I have found many students who mistakenly understand character design to be simply drawing an idea from their mind or imagination. I sometimes spend the greater portion of my first design classes explaining that drawing an idea from your mind is not character design, but is simply drawing an idea from your mind. This one took me around 80 mins, and I added a couple more details this afternoon before posting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment